August 12, 2011

Live With Soulfulness

While my fabulous best friend is still getting adjusted to our sunny California, I (aka Sierra from Ocean Dreams blog) am happy to be here guest posting for you all again!

Today I'm supposed to be writing and working, but I got a little caught up in a film called Soul Surfer. Have you seen it? It's SO amazing! I admit, I was a bit hesitant about watching it at first. I have a hard time watching someone go through pain, especially a limb being severed from your body. I most definitely cried when Bethany was attacked in the film and by the end of the movie, I was crying due to her perseverance and strength.
It made me really think about people who have come out of tragedy stronger than ever before. Sometimes I wonder why things have to happen a certain way, but I feel there is always a greater plan. Wonderful things can come out of a tragic accident. In Bethany's case, she allowed wonderful things to come her way by not backing down or ever surrendering. In fact - I was in awe of how calm she was through her accident and how eager she was to get back into the waves after her accident.
I've always had a secret fear of the ocean water and what lurks beneath the waves. This fear doesn't prevent me from going out into the waters, but I do most often wonder what is lurking beneath the shore. When I was in Maui about three years I was playing in the water near our time share. The water was murky. All of a sudden I felt an incredible amount of pain on my leg.
Well, it turns out I had been stung by a jelly fish! I know my encounter in no way compares to Bethany's accident, but it did scare me. My jelly fish sting healed, but I was in a lot of pain limping around for the next few days while I was in Maui. I would say my sting was at least 3-4 inches long. And yes, I admit I had to "pee on my wound" as they tell you to do. Believe me - it helps when your are in that much pain. It really made me thankful though that it wasn't something else that attacked me.
Through Bethany's story I've been inspired to live with soulfulness. Instead of letting her accident destroy her, she did quite the opposite! She currently is a professional surfer who gives to others and inspires everyone to never give up. I think there is so much conviction in this film that we can apply into our own lives.

I'm proud of Selma for taking the leap and following her dreams! Don't forget to follow your dreams too. Oh, and watch Soul Surfer! It's incredible!

12 comments :

Natasha Contreras said...

Such an inspiring story! I love living in Sunny Cali and having the ocean as our backyard!

inlovewithsandiego.blogspot.com

Marcia B. said...

Omg ive been wanting to see this movie so badly, i definitely have to check it out, great blog! I am your newest follower, follow me back if you like? :)

Abby said...

I've heard of this movie! Now I want to see it ;)

trump said...

Greetings from the Amish Settlement of Lebanon,pa. Richard from Amish Stories.

Sienna said...

i may just have to go watch this now...it looks so inspiring

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

I am terrified of the ocean. Not my idea of fun. Because there are 101 reason why it can hurt you. More power to those who can thrive in it though!

i said someday.... said...

I just watched this movie this weekend!!
I cried all the way through it!
My 8 year old made me rent it, because I too, was a litte iffy about watching it.
Well, about 30 minutes into it, he said,"This movie is too sad. I'm about to cry!"
So he walked out and I was left to cry alone!!
It was way better than I expected!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I haven't seen the movie, but I've been seeing the previews. Her story really is amazing.

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I've been wanting to see this movie! The story is so inspiring!

Sierra said...

Thanks lovely Selma for another opportunity for our blog tag team! xoxo!

Ladies - you must see this film if you haven't! So glad for those of you who have seen it and even if you haven't embracing her story! Thanks for the comments. :)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I really want to see this, it's so inspirational!

Thelma Frayne said...

Haven't seen this... must watch it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...