July 2, 2014

Creamy Red Potato Salad





I am not a huge cook. Here, I said it. I don’t like spending endless hours in the kitchen hovering over the stove watching so that food won’t burn. That does not mean I don't like to cook. In fact, I actually love to cook. New and easy recipes are always appreciated, and I always want to try out something new. I also love to browse through magazines such as Good Housekeeping or Rachael Ray’s to find inspiration and ideas. Not having internet and TV for an entire month made me go through a ton of magazines, and I was a lucky girl finding fun stuff to cook and eat. 

The other day I forced myself to try something new. I had done a potato salad before but never creamy, with red potatoes and hardly ever with mayonnaise. I don’t like mayonnaise. Yet, I did it and I have to say I fell in love with this creamy easiness.


 























Here’s what you need:
For the salad                                                                                     
Red potatoes (2lbs – I chose 1lb) – cut in chunks                        
5 bacon slices – thick cut, chopped                                          
2 green onions – thinly sliced                                                     
3 celery stalks – thinly sliced                                                       
Corn kernels (from 3 ears) – 2 cups                                          

For the dressing
Mayonnaise¾ cup 
Spicy brown mustard (regular is okay) – 1 tbsp
Sugar – ½ tsp
2 dill pickles – finely chopped
1 garlic clove – crushed
 
Here’s what you do:
In a large sauce pot, combine potatoes, 1 tbsp salt and enough water to cover by I inch.
Cover. Heat to simmer on high. Reduce heat to maintain simmer.
Cook, partially covered 10-12 minutes or until very tender.

Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet cook bacon on medium for 10 minutes or until crispy.
Set aside on a plate to cool. Keep the bacon fat.

Transfer the bacon fat into a large bowl.
Add mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, pickles, garlic and about 1 ¼ tsp salt (I did without salt).
Whisk, and set aside.

Drain potatoes well, gently toss them with the dressing.
Let cool for about 15 minutes.
Fold in bacon, celery, corn and green onions.
Voila, your creamy potato salad is ready.

***
I used regular mustard, and added less salt if none to the dressing.
I love onions so I used more, but that’s me.
My favorite person even loved it and said I could make this every day.
Good to know.

What is your favorite potato salad ingredient?
Anything I should try?
Let me know.

1 comment :

Ashley said...

I like dill in potato salad...and as you know, dill is EXTREMELY popular in Turkey! Just a little though, that stuff is strong!

Thanks for the recipe, and just in time for the Fourth!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...