August 20, 2014

Potato, Zucchini, and Tomato Gratin



Since my job search isn't the best at the moment, my recipe searches and ideas are blooming. Also, as a soon-to-be wife to an I-eat-everything-you-cook-honey man I think I can easily try new things. So glad we are no picky eaters (except for him not liking bell peppers!!! How on earth am I going to convince this guy it's actually really yummy?!). Lately, I have tried to incorporate more veggies and fruits to our diet. I love meat and fish, but it also gets rather pricey over time. Plus, we both need to eat more seasonal veggies and fruits; what is better than looking for fun recipes online or in magazines while trying to safe money and stay healthy?! Nothing! Maybe.

Temperatures have cooled a little and by that I mean we still have temps in the lower 90s, but it is a start. With fall around the corner I was eager to try something new, something that reminds me of home, my mom, and cooler temps. A gratin of any kind would be the solution, and that is how I came up with the potato gratin with a twist aka zucchini and tomato. 

Here is what you need (servings of four) :
  • 5 tsps olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves (minced) - I didn't use the garlic press this time and cut it in slices only
  • 1 lb gold potatoes (peeled)
  • 1 zucchini (medium, about 8 ounces)
  • 2 tomatoes (vine-ripened or other ripe, about 3/4 pound, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds)
  • 1/4 tsp coarse salt or regular salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tsp thyme - fresh or not, finely chopped
  • 2 oz finely grated cheese (cantal or cheddar cheese)

Here is what you do:

- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in upper third (I did it in the middle and it came out fine)
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch gratin dish with 1 teaspoon oil, and sprinkle with garlic.
- Slice potatoes and zucchini as thinly as possible into rounds. 
- Arrange potatoes, zucchini, and tomatoes in overlapping layers around the dish.
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. 
- Lastly, drizzle with remaining 4 teaspoons oil, and sprinkle with thyme and cheese

- Cover the whole thing with foil and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Remove foil and continue baking for about 25 more minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.



It was an easy dish. I used only two potatoes, and added more tomatoes. Also, I sprinkled more cheese on top. Next time I will use another cheese. As delicious and lightweight the dish was, it lacked the cheese flavor I was hoping to get. Despite my disappointment in the cheese the dish was still good and we finished the whole thing. :) Plus, the slightly burned cheese on the side was delicious; just the way I like it.

A gratin can be a side dish, too. I chose to do this as the main dish since I did not want to cook too much {in other words, I am lazy and didn't want to cook at all}. If you choose to make this as a side dish you can easily pair this with pork chops, or spicy chicken. Overall I liked its simplicity and healthy aspect. :) 

Just sharing this with you makes me hungry again!

xoxo

2 comments :

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

THAT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!

Allison said...

When I was in Paris, we ate a gratin with cauliflower that looked similar to this (just more bumpy, of course ;)
This makes me so excited! I LOVE summer veggies, but get bored of just sauteing them. Awesome post - my mouth is watering!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...