October 1, 2014

Zucchini Boats


I love zucchini. I love vegetables in general and when I get a chance I will push myself to come up with new, inspirational and fun recipes to add to any dinner or lunch. I originally saw the recipe over at as the wine cork turns but always knew I wanted to created the zucchini dish my grandma used to make. This comes very close. Best part? It is very easy and you can pretty much do with it whatever you want to do. Oh, yes, excuse the above photo with the potholders underneath the form...felt like they wanted to be part of the whole show here.

Here's what you need:

3 zucchini
mozzarella or/and cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
cream cheese
and whatever topping you'd like to have on it
I used: green onion {thinly sliced}, bacon, and mushroom {literally emptied the fridge}

Here's what you do:

wash zucchini, and cut in two long halves
microwave those halves for about 20/25 seconds so they are slightly softer
take a spoon and scoop out the zucchini guts and set those guts aside in a bowl
place boat like zucchinis in a pyrex or so

add salt and pepper to the bowl
slice the mushrooms however you want {I tried to make it into small cubes}
slice onion or tomatoes or whatever else you have and add to the bowl
slice the bacon {I used applewood, uncooked} and add to the bowl as well
mix it all

add softened cream cheese to the mixture. add just enough to bind it all together.
season to taste {next time I will try curry}
sprinkle some mozarella/cheddar cheese into the mixture and give it another gentle stir

then put the whole mixture onto those zucchini boats
sprinkle with more cheese {I used mozarella only}
put in heated oven at 350F, for about 30minutes

 

There you go.
It's that simple.
Next time I use more bacon, add some curry or paprika powder to it but will keep it simple. I don't want to overload it with ingredients because the boats can only so much, you know?!

Happy trying it out. It will be delicious, and make a good leftover dish, too.

2 comments :

Amanda Elizabeth - Meet @ the Barre said...

I love this recipe! I have pinned various versions of this I really need to get around to making it!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

My mouth is literally watering. I LOVE zucchini too! This looks like perfection.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...