May 18, 2015

Maintaining your Friendships while in a Relationship

Hey my lovely readers,

As I am busy taking care of business in Switzerland, and also kind of mentally help my favorite person move from one place to another {yes, we are moving, and yes, I am not there to help out...cannot change fate or terrible circumstances} I have Lindsay write a post for you today. Don't forget to stop by at her blog and check her out. :)

Have a wonderful week.

S

P.s. if you were wondering what is up with my fonts or not...this blog does not like me today...it just does not.

****


It is incredibly important to maintain your friendships and your identity in a relationship, I cannot stress this enough: do not dump or abandon all of your girlfriends when you enter into a relationship.

I know that's typically what happens when you enter into a new relationship, but it's so important to maintain those friendships because those are the friends that are always going to be there for you, through thick and thin and when you need them most.  
When we enter into a new relationship, you're getting to know the person and your life is all about that person, you want to spend every minute with them and sometimes, we neglect our friends because we're simply happy and trying to navigate our way through a new relationship.  The key is finding balance.  This applies to new relationships, whether you've been together with someone for 6 months or even married, it's all the same.  It's important to cultivate that relationship with your partner, but it's also important to take time for yourself and time with your friends in order to grow, to mature, to be able to vent or bounce ideas off of.

You won't realise just how important these friends are to you until they're no longer there. 

Trust me.

In high school, I just wanted to be done and over with it and move on with my life.  I'd always felt like I was more mature than others my age due to circumstances in life and also being an only child. Couple that along with just being sick of high school drama, BS and cliques, I just wanted no part.

So, as a result, I buried myself in school, night school and I ended up graduating one year ahead of my friends.  By graduating early, I left the few friends that I did have and with living in another town as well, I rarely saw any of those people thereafter.

Fast forward almost 15 years later and I can tell you this -- it is hard making friends and meeting new people as an adult.  Not impossible, but also not easy.



So while it's important to foster and build your friendships and relationships in life, it's equally as important making time for your significant other to show them just how much he or she means to you. Don't wait until tomorrow or when it's too late to tell those you care about just how much they mean to you. 
 


Life is short; live, love and zero regrets.


About Lindsay:
Lindsay is 31 and lives just north of Toronto with her husband and two fur-kids, Charlie and Baxter.   You can find her over at: www.theflynnigans.com where she writes about life, fitness, food, travel, marriage and her love of animals.  She works in a stressful corporate job in the legal field so in her down time, she pet sits and dog walks to give back.  When she isn't working or blogging, Lindsay loves to travel, read, SCUBA dive, take photographs, spend time with her family and indulge in far too much reality television. 
 

4 comments :

The Flynnigans said...

<3 Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to post on your blog while you're away taking care of important family matters.
I can't wait until you're back and settling back into your new normal and new home with your man. Love you and miss you girl. xoxo

Unknown said...

This is so true, we always need friends. Hard to remember when falling in love, but the effort os always worth it.

lisacng said...

It's hardest to maintain friendships when I feel like I'm always the one initiating getting together. One one hand, maybe they want me to initiate. On the other hand, maybe they want me to go away. How can I tell????

Unknown said...

So true. But one great thing for me with my relationship is that I got rid of the friendships that were not working. It gave me a better perspective on what I wanted in my life.

Granted I could always do better with talking to friends and making plans to hang out. But it is a two way street.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...